Our Commitment To Privacy
The Information We Collect
Examples of non-personally identifiable information that the Website collects automatically include:
- Your internet protocol (“IP”) address;
- Your internet browser information;
- Your computer’s operating system; and
- Your navigation path while using the Website.
In addition to the information that we collect automatically, we may also collect information that you provide to us.
Examples of personally identifiable information that you provide to us include:
- Personal information you provide – When you register for the MSW@USC online program, you are automatically registered as a user on the VAC Website and a VAC account is created for you. When you log into your VAC account, you are able to include personal information in your account profile (such as your name, the city and state in which you reside, your birthday, your email address and your telephone number).
- GoogleTM Account Credentials – You may opt to provide us with the proper credentials to access any account that you maintain through any website provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Any Google account information that you provide will be stored in a secure and encrypted format.
- Uploaded content – When you upload any personal information or audio, textual or video content on any area of the VAC Website, this information may be made available, and may be accessed, viewed, stored, collected or used, by other users of the VAC Website, subject to your restrictions. If you do not want 2U to store metadata that is associated with your uploaded content, please remove the metadata before uploading the content.
- User communications – When you send email or other communications to 2U, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Site activity information – We may track or maintain a log of your activity on the VAC Website, including, but not limited to, adding a contact, joining a group, writing a post, sharing a link, posting a picture or video, adding notes and/or uploading content.
- Affiliated sites – We may offer some of our services in connection with other websites. Personal information that you provide to those sites may be sent to 2U in order to deliver the service. We process such information in accordance with this Policy. The affiliated sites may have different privacy practices and we encourage you to read and fully understand their privacy policies.
The Way We Use Your Information:
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one or more of the following ways:
- Providing our services to users, including the set-up and management of accounts / profiles;
- Research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our learning management system;
- Developing new services; and
- Providing electronic mailings and other communications to our users related to your use of the Website or to your participation in the MSW@USC online program. Users may not opt out of receiving such electronic mailings and/or communications while participating in the MSW@USC online program.
- Integrating your use of the VAC Website with select services provided to you by Google.
Your Rights Under The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”)
The disclosure of any personal information that you provide to us and/or information that we may create that pertains to you may be protected under FERPA. You may also have specific rights related to accessing and/or updating your personal information. For more information related to the applicability of FERPA and your rights under it, please contact the MSW@USC Privacy Officer at privacy@2U.com.
Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
We respect your right to privacy and will follow all applicable laws and regulations concerning the release of your personal information. Occasionally, we may disclose the information we collect to third-parties for either commercial or non-commercial purposes. We may also disclose the information that we collect under other circumstances, as permitted or required by law.
Additionally, USC has access to all of your information within the VAC Website. In addition to USC, 2U shares personal information only with other entities or individuals outside of 2U in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent.
- We provide such information to our affiliates or other trusted business partners who process personal information on our behalf and/or provide services to 2U related to the VAC Website. We require that these parties store and process such information based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy.
Our Commitment To Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the appropriate use of the information we collect online, we have put appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures into place to safeguard and secure that information. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children under the age of 13 is especially important to us. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information on or through our Website from users that we actually know are under 13, and no part of our Website is structured to attract anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, please do not provide any information to us that would or could identify you personally. If you are a parent or guardian and believe that your child under the age of 13 has provided personal information through this Website, please let us know so that we may use commercially reasonable efforts to remove that information from our systems.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
When you use the VAC Website, we make every effort to provide you with access to your personal information, and either to correct this information, if it is inaccurate, or to delete such information at your request. Please be aware that some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users’ personal information.
How To Contact Us
This policy was last revised on April 21st, 2011 and is effective as of that date.